Swimwear Sewing Plans !

The season of summer and all things hot is closer than it appears (I hope.) In preparation, I have begun planning the swimsuits I want to make!

First Up:  the Watson One-Piece



Obviously for this one I will be using the Watson Bra pattern by Cloth Habit as a base for the top.  I plan to sew the cups in this geometric print from thefabricfairy.com :

                                                                         
I already have this fabric and it's really high quality.  It's got great stretch and recovery and is super soft. 
The bottom part will be black.  For the back I am not sure what to do.  A completely black back would be classic, but making the upper back this print would be really fun, too.  Any suggestions?
(Sorry for the awkwardly sized pictures!)

Next: Mix and Match Two-Pieces



First up is the sporty top.  This top started out as a Mallori Lane by Madalynne, and I fit it to perfection last summer. I had to narrow the front, relocate the shaping so it aligned with my body, and add a little length to the bottom to accommodate my slightly larger bust.  I also decided to scoop out the back a bit so it didn't bother my shoulder blades.  Not to mention I totally ditched the bottom band.  Earlier this year, I added a few inches to the center front and created a high neck bra, which I have seen all over.  Instead of making it halter neck, though, I just made the straps closer to the center at the back. 
I love the one I have now, which is solid black, and so that's what I'm leaning towards, but I think it would be cute in paisley or my geometric fabric too.  It's just really versatile!

The other top is the halter top from McCall's 5400, whose bottom I already reviewed.  I'm currently muslining this top. 
On the cover of the pattern, this is shown in paisley.  I am in love with it.  Utter love.  I don't know if I'm being historically accurate, but this makes me think of the seventies and I want one. So I'm looking for a good paisley print.

The bottoms I plan to make in solid black milliskin matte from spandexworld.com.  I love their milliskin--it just feels high quality.
I'm also debating whether or not to make the bottoms in the prints as well.  With how little fabric bikinis take up, I'm sure I could, but in all practicality, I never once went swimming last year.  So I don't think that I really need this many suits. 
Anyway, these are my plans.  Until next time!

Comments