MMMay Week One Round-Up

So, without further ado, here are the outfits that included me-made clothing this week!


On the left is my M7261 top I recently made.  In the middle is a simple shirtdress hack that will be appearing soon, and on the right is a tee I made at the beginning of this school year.  It looks pretty pathetic now, and is so worn out I'll have to replace it soon. I forgot to take a picture of my whole outfit.  I wore it with black skinny jeans and a gray cardigan, not very colorful until you saw my crimson Keds! It's a very *me* outfit.  Loose top, skinny jeans and slim-fitting shoes.

Also, have you seen the little badges that Tasha Miller Griffith is making ?  They are so cute! They made me want to make something to celebrate making (ha, isn't that convoluted!), so I started making little tags to sew into my clothing !
I just found clip art pictures that I liked and traced them onto the wrong side of fabric before doing some very poor embroidery. Here they are!


They all have some simple image and then the word made.  I'm super excited to sew them into my clothes!
 
On another note, my Composition class is finished, but we still have to meet, so we've been watching documentaries.  We just finished watching The True Cost, a doc about the fast fashion industry its workers.  Most of these workers are in Bangladesh and receive no benefits.  They work long hours and receive very low pay. I feel like I'm grossly underestimating this, and I am, but there are far better sources than me for information on this topic. Just google sweatshops, hazards of fast fashion, or Rana Plaza tragedy, and any number of factual articles will come up. What is also explored in this doc is how the local villages are affected.  I remember one village's water and land was tainted with chromium, and so many people had conditions and birth defects because of it.  Also, the cotton farmers suffer because of the huge amounts of pesticides and chemicals used to increase yield.  Overall, no one except the corporations benefits from fast fashion.
A small bit of terrible irony happened to me while watching this.  It was Tuesday.  I wore my green, me-made dress and was embroidering during class while watching this. A girl wearing handmade clothing and creating something watched this, and knew more about the fast fashion than her peers who shopped as much as once every two weeks.  It's sad but it's true.  Knowledge is power, and in this case sewers have much more.
 
Anyway, I didn't mean to end on such a sad note; so, did you guys see that Riley Blake has a new collection of knits out? It's really small, but the designs are actually adultish, and the fabric is soooooo amazingly soft yet stable and thin yet opaque that I will definitely be purchasing some. Oh ! It also has great stretch recovery.
 

Comments