Water Lilies Shirtdress

My summer sewing has commenced, and that means one thing-a new shirtdress! Last summer it was made out of gray seersucker embroidered with little red crabs.  This year it reminds me of Monet's paintings of water lilies.

Pattern: Burda 6810, which gives options for button-up shirts with darts, hidden buttons, and a collar with stand.

Fabric: A linen or linen blend from JoAnn's. They also have this print in a heavier weight cotton, I think.

Size: 8

Alterations: I added width to the sides, eliminated the darts, and lengthened it to be a slightly A-line dress.  I also added black grosgrain ribbon belt loops.  Also I eliminated the button band and just added width to the center front then folded it under (serging the edges, of course.  Although I think it would look lovely to have a bit of ribbon trim there, maybe a fuchsia to match the accents in the fabric.)

Construction:  Since this is a summer dress and I was more concerned about the collar and the buttons, I decided not to do a self-lined yoke.  I serged all the seams and feel no regret.

Comments: This pattern as a shirt is drafted very long.  I altered it last year when I made it as a shirt, so I'm not sure how much I ended up taking off, but it fit me as more of a tunic than a dress shirt.  Petite people out there--beware !

So I'm sewing for summer, yet I look outside and see snow! Yeeks!
Ha! When I took these pictures, it was almost warm enough to take off my leggings and go bare legged.  Shows my lag between sewing and blogging.  Also shows how hormonal Mother Nature is in the Midwest, though, because I'm pretty sure I sewed this is April.

Comments