Favorite Fibers for Fall (and Winter)

Hello out there!

If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, you have no doubt been noticing the weather change to cold. Brrr! But as a sewer or a savvy shopper, you can eliminate some of the frigid effect on yourself, by changing what you wear.

So ! Here are my favorite fibers for winter and warm:

Wool

Wool is by far one of the best things to keep you warm. It can come in both knit and woven form, and if you knit, wool yarn is not hard to come by. Wool tends to be more on the expensive side, but it is soooo worth it.
Wool can be itchy, though I have heard legends about wool that is oh-so-soft and comfy. Also, some people are allergic to wool, so watch out.
Wool fabric is generally in the suiting section or coating fabrics. In stores, you can find wool jackets and sweaters, and sometimes wool pants.

This sweater, though not me-made, is made from a wool blend, which brings me to my next fiber...

Acrylic

Acrylic is a synthetic fiber that is rather soft and kind of like wool. It's not natural, so it's not that great at wicking away moisture, but it is super insulating. In my experience, it's generally softer than wool (this is me with no high-quality anything, just what is cheap and pretty, so high quality wool may be something soft and fabulous, I don't know).
Acrylic is harder to find as a sewist but is generally much less expensive than wool. In stores, you can generally find it in giant sweaters, like the ones your grandma wears. The cute ones. The majority of my sweaters are from my grandma or secondhand, so maybe I'm biased.
Acrylic does pill sometimes, but I don't know how quickly it does so.

The green sweater I'm holding in the second picture is acrylic.

Cotton-Polyester-Rayon Blends

Cotton-poly or rayon-poly blends are generally pretty nice for winter. They are usually thinner than wool or acrylic, and therefore work better as layering, long-sleeve shirts or turtlenecks.
Not all are created equal, so if possible buy a swatch or buy fabric in person. Make sure to feel the fabric and if it feels cool to the touch, don't get it. It won't function to keep you warm.
Although they are thin, these blends are usually pretty opaque, which is awesome. And they are readily available to sewists--they are all over JoAnn's, if that's all you have nearby. If you prefer to shop RTW, these are your thin layering shirts, or maybe a drapey shirt or two. But again, if it feels cool to the touch, it ain't gonna keep you warm no how.

This is a cotton poly blend from Hancock's, when it still existed.
This is a rayon poly blend from JoAnn's.

Not Suitable for Winter

This is one fiber you would be better off saving for summer.
Pure rayon, or rayon spandex--This is soft and drapey and it keeps you cool. Not warm. No good for winter. Watch out for rayon double knits, too. Some of them may be suitable but not all are. I made a very pretty top out of one last year and it hardly sees any wear because it traps air against my skin and freezes said air. Not warm. Generally, rayon spandex or rayon knits are easy to find. Woven rayon is accessible too. In stores, these are your light-as-air bohemian tops and your drapey soft t-shirts. Very nice when it's warm outside, but "cold" is the weather right now.

Well, I think that's all I have for today. What are your favorite winter fabrics? Comment with them !

Comments