Queenie and Tina: A Tribute

So I didn't intend to sew bras based on he movie Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them... it just happened. I was working on a pink and gold one, no big deal, and once it was done my mind just went, Queenie Goldstein! This is her! So, being fair, and admiring Tina very much in the movie as well, I had to make one based on her too.


Pattern: Simplicity 8228, view B, size 32D


Materials: Pale rose powermesh, peach elastics, skinny elastic, black/copper lace--all from TailorMadeShoppe on Etsy, purchased at different times. Pink elastics-from ArteCrafts on Etsy. I love that color pink. Gold spandex stuff and orange lining--JoAnn's.


I love how feminine the pale pink and gold combination is. I didn't have strapping elastic in a color I liked, so I covered some regular elastic in powermesh. The straps are a little short, but not so much I can't wear it. Like Queenie, this bra is simple and feminine. It sparkles but isn't obnoxious. Other than not really being inspired by Queenie, it's inspired by her bright hair and lovely blush-pink clothes.


The black/copper lace is actually more of a black/rose-gold, in my opinion. I used my serger and the quality is not as good, but it's still wearable. I used plain peach straps and had to add in extra elastic under the bust since the serged seam is too stretchy. Like Tina, the colors are more understated, but the effect is quite striking when worn. It's directly inspired by her brown flapper dress.

The innards.

On another note, can we talk costume historical inaccuracies??? Majorly, women wearing pants weren't really accepted until the 1930s, and then it was mostly for beaches??? I mean, they weren't really accepted until WWII, for working in factories, but it wasn't going to kill you socially if you, a female, wore pants in the 30s. I get that wizards and witches are ahead of the times (like, go Madam President,  female head of MCUSA, Seraphina Picquery, and go your head-covering too, that's awesome) but if they had to blend in with the No-Maj population, surely they would have worn dresses or shirtwaists all the time?!?!? Also, T-strap heels weren't popular until the 30s as well...but they did exist, so I can excuse that.
Little things like that make me want to curse my historical knowledge of fashion sometimes.

Anyway, so I have two lovely new bras that pay tribute to two lovely, strong female characters. I'm very much pleased.

Comments

  1. Wow! Both your new bras are fabulously creative and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! If I don't answer, please assume I am busy researching or cooking myself dinner! I certainly don't mean to ignore you!